- 9 fresh peaches
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( 205 degrees C).
- Submerge peaches in boiling water for about 1 minute. The amount of time required to make the skin easy to peel varies with the degree of ripeness: if really ripe, it may take less time. Remove peaches with a slotted spoon, and run cold water on them. Slip off the skin. Cut peaches into wedges, and place in either a deep 10 inch pie plate or a 2 inch deep 2 quart baking dish. Toss peaches with lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Cover with foil.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until the peaches are hot and bubbly
- Whisk together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Pour buttermilk over top, and toss with a fork until the mixture clumps together. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough over the peaches. In a small cup, mix 2 teaspoons sugar and nutmeg. Sprinkle over biscuits.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Set dish on wire rack to cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.